Cleaning house

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Tagged by badgerdaddy

So I hate these things.  But I’m pretty keen on Badgerdaddy.  So here goes nothin’.

 

Seven things about me that may surprise you:

(Not much should surprise you these days—hey, I fessed up about my non-tax remitting ways…the musician…internet dating.  Not much is sacred here in blog-land.  But I’ll come up with something, I’m sure.)

 

1        I’m crazy for books.  Hardcover in particular.  I LOOOOVE them.  I love the physicality of a book.  I love that it’s a secret friend, just waiting to tell me its secrets.  I love finding a particularly well-written book and going back to visit the characters time after time.  They become my friends, albeit imaginary ones, and I want to know what they’re doing NOW.

 

  1. I’m terrible with money.  I’m working hard at getting better with it, but I really and truly suck at managing my finances.  I have absolutely EVERYTHING on automated payments because otherwise I miss paying them.  I am absolute shit at caring about day-to-day crap.  I just can’t be bothered with the details.  Which is funny, because my JOB is all about details, follow through, and follow-up.  Go figure.

 

  1. I simply can’t look at people with things in their teeth.  It makes me nauseous to see someone with something stuck to their face.  I’ll ALWAYS tell someone, even random strangers, if they have things on their face—but I’ll generally do it with my face turned away from you and my hand covering my eyes.  It truly repulses me and I don’t know why.  What’s funny, is that if it’s a business meeting, or I’m meeting someone’s parents, or the like…I can tell them and keep a straight face.  I’ll just politely mention it, and manage to not look completely and utterly revolted.  But it takes EVERYTHING I’ve got to pull it off.

 

  1. I get angry with girls who play fast and loose with men’s emotions.  I feel a strong duty of care to look after people who are misguided enough to crush on me.  I have a difficult time telling people to ‘fuck off, I’m just not interested’.  I SHOW them…but men are generally not notorious for their collective ability to take a hint.  This is a problem for me, sometimes. 

 

I also hate trampy girls.  Have some self-respect.  Put on some clothes.  Your identity is not wrapped up in your boobs.  They contribute to who you are, but your entire self doesn’t begin and end with the 8 inches below your chin.  If a boy doesn’t like you for your brains and your self, he’s got a lot to learn.  You won’t always be so slim and taut.  So there’d best be some substance between your ears if you intend to still have a relationship 45 years from now.

 

  1. I am not a yeller.  It takes a LOT to make me raise my voice.  I generally get much more quiet.  Much more calm, and collected.  And infinitely more polite and erudite.  I become an incredibly well-spoken, very formal, and intensely respectable opponent.  I find that this pretty much terrifies people as they are quite unused to it.  I pity the fool that does not recognize the steam rising from my ears in this type of situation.

 

  1. I’m intensely independent.  I’d rather starve to death on a street corner than ask a friend for help.  It kills me to ask for favours, even if I’m desperate for the help.  I nearly DID starve the last year I dated Jesus-boy…he was making $100K USD a year, and I was working full-time at Tim Horton’s while I went to university full-time.  I wouldn’t even let him subsidize my long-distance phone bill—when it was used entirely on calling him.  Yeah…independence sometimes = stupidity.  But it’s important to me to pay my own way—I cringe to ever think that someone might think I used them in any way.

 

A corollary to that is that if anybody ever asks me for something?  And it’s within my physical capabilities to do it?  I will.  You want me to pick up your long lost uncle at the airport at 3 am?  I’ll do it.  You need someone to detail your car because you’re working that day?  Sure, I’ll give it a go.  You need to borrow $50 until payday? (well, this one I’m a bit stickier about—but if you’re my FRIEND?  I’ll sell something to make it happen.)  I have HUGE issues saying No to people, because I assume they have as difficult a time asking for help as I do.  I say yes, because I don’t know how to say no.  If you really need me?  I’m there.  And that goes for all of you.  Yes, I’m a bit of a sucker like that.

 

  1. My pride is my absolute worst flaw.  There’s a reason it’s a deadly sin.  I hate not being able to do something, and I hate not being able to do it well.  I can’t imagine taking on a task and not giving it my wholehearted best effort.  I don’t want to sign my name, or stake my reputation, on something that is shoddy or imperfect.  My perfectionist tendencies have taken me a long time to come to terms with, and I’m still not quite there.    I’ll work myself non-stop until I’m physically unable to continue, if that’s what it takes to get a job done.   Because of this, I have a difficult time admitting defeat.  I will work and work and work until I can’t work any more, if I think the job is one that can (eventually) be completed.  I hate having to admit that someone else can do something that I can’t, if it’s something that doesn’t appear to be all that difficult.  That’s not to say I’m stupid.  I am happy to admit the things I know nothing about, and have no real aptitude for.  Mechanics, automotive repair, science, mathematics…all things I could probably figure out if I put my mind to it, but nothing I really care that much to learn...particularly when there are so many other people who are skilled at those things. 

 

 

Also from Badgerdaddy:
The rules:

1. Add a direct link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you. Include the city/state and country you're in.

Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
Selba (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Olivia (London, England)
ML (Utah, USA)
Lotus (Toronto, Canada)
tanabata (Saitama, Japan)
Andi (Dallas [ish], Texas, United States)
Todd (Louisville, Kentucky, United States)
miss kendra (los angeles, california, u.s.a)
Jiggs Casey (Berkeley, CA, USA! USA! USA!)
Tits McGee (New England, USA)
Kat (Ontario, Canada)
badgerdaddy (Ludlow, Shropshire, England)

Canadian_Sadie (Halifax, NS, Canada)

 

2. List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location.

            1.  Il Mercato.  You’ve heard me gush about this place before.  Amazing Italian.  Two locations—Bedford and Spring Garden Road.  GREAT food; although, I do have to say, the last time I ate there the portions left quite a bit to be desired.  I don’t like to go home hungry.

            2.  Steak & Stein.  It’s a family style restaurant—steak, but you can actually afford to eat there.  Derby-style steaks are the yummiest!  Marinated, grilled however you like, with baked potato, coleslaw, soft drink, salad or PIE!!! For super cheap.  DEE-LICIOUS.

            3.  Fredie’s Fantastic Fish.  I hate seafood, but I love fish & chips.  It’s odd, I know.  They’ve got the absolute freshest, best tasting fish in town.  And I’m not the only one that thinks so.  They also have clams, lobster rolls, whatever other fishy-type stuff that fishy-type restaurants serve.  I don’t know; I don’t eat the stuff.  They started out with a chip-truck in Tantallon, and only opened the restaurant during the winter.  Now they have both, and they’re both wonderful.

            4.  Bud the Spud.  No listing of Halifax dining establishments would be complete without Bud the Spud’s chip truck.  This truck is seasonal, and can be found down in front of the library on Spring Garden Road.  It rocks.  If you can get past the beggars and the seagulls, you can pull up a piece of wall and eat fries out of a paper bag with a bunch of strangers.  This is one of the experiences that is TRULY Haligonian.  You’ve got to try it.  Trust me.

            5.  Jon Allan’s Steak house.  Incredible.  EXPENSIVE.  And did I mention incredible?

As you can see, I’m a carnivore.  There are a billion amazing restaurants in Halifax, and you should eat at every last one.  Not making the short list are Chives Bistro, Bish, Il Mediterraneano, Hamachi Steak House, The Cellar, Salvatore’s, and the Chicken Burger. (Mmmmm…Chicken Burger.)  But a girl’s got to draw the line somewhere.

(I’m also compiling this list at work, so do not have access to functioning hyperlinks.  I’ll go back in tonight and edit the urls back into the post so you can go and see these yummy, yummy places and their menus.)

3. Tag 5 other people (preferably from other countries/states) and let them know they've been tagged.

I don’t tag people.  If you want to do this?  Go for it.  If you don’t?  That’s cool too.  No pressure here.  Nope.  None.  Although, if you DO do it?  Could you leave your link in the comments, just in case I don’t know who you are?  There’s a lot of you just lurking out there that don’t ‘fess up to it, and in case I don’t already stalk you, I’d love to see what you have to say.

 

5 Comments:

  • Ahh is so nice to meet a fellow canivore....Bud The Spud sounds like a very nice place to have a quick snack of chips..and wooo the steak houses...haha I want to go to both Steak & stein and Jon Allan's
    Ps thanks for doing the tag. If you know of anyone else doing it please feel free to send me a message and I’ll update them too on the updated list of tag doers

    By Blogger Nicole, At Wed May 16, 09:12:00 am  

  • Hahhaa.. no worries.. it's not weird. I have couple of friends who don't take seafood but loves fish and chips too.

    I think I will stick to Steak & Stein since I will be kinda broke after spending all the money touring around :) I love beef~ yummy~

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Thu May 17, 05:02:00 am  

  • I can't look at people with stuff in their teeth either. I always tell them.

    But, hey...what's the matter with dressing kinda slutty? That's my thing. One day, I won't be able to dress like this, but until then, lots of people will have to see my thong sticking out of the back of my jeans. I never claimed to be classy.

    By Blogger mist1, At Sun May 20, 02:13:00 am  

  • Book lover? Doesn't like trampy girls? (And can I just say trampy girls on Halloween make me almost spiral into a fit of rage??)We could defintely be friends.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Mon May 21, 10:24:00 pm  

  • cool post. question..do you use a bookmark or dog ears on the hardcover books?

    By Blogger afuntanilla, At Sun May 27, 10:47:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home