Cleaning house

Monday, January 23, 2006

Apparently I was born in the wrong era. Three guesses which generation I SHOULD have been, based on my work-a-holic tendencies. The first two don't count.

If only my workaholic, addictionist tendencies applied equally to my blogging--then there'd be a lot more to read, a lot more often! And if my perfectionism were allowed to enter the picture, it'd even be more interesting--or at least more well-written!

I'm working hard at leaving all the smilies and emoticons (I hate that word!) out of my emails and posts. They're incredibly unprofessional, and they make me less reliant on making my language clear and concise. I figure that if I can insert a happy face every now and again people will be able to figure out that I'm joking or that my sarcastic crack is more tongue-in-cheek than bitter-harpie. But if I can't do that without using semi-colons and right parentheses, I really shouldn't be permitted to create text.

After I eliminate smilies, I will endeavour to omit the exclamation point, and then the ellipsis. These forms of punctuation have their rightful place in everyday language, don't get me wrong, but I use them just a little too munificently.

Tomorrow is my day off and I can't wait to sleep in. I've been so exhausted lately. A number of reasons, primarily because I can't get myself to bed before midnight. That, combined with the new 4:45 am wake-up time, is killing me. Add to it the 1 hr 45 minute bus trip home in the evenings and I'm done for. I'm eating poorly, sleeping inadequately, and am generally cranky.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to be Little Mary Sunshine at work. When I'm having a particularly bad day at work, and answer "How are you doing?" with "Cranky. That's how."--I'm not looking for a "but you're NEVER cranky! What's wrooooong?" I'm just cranky, dammit. I know I should tell you I'm 'FANTASTIC!' like I usually do--but why the hell am I not allowed to have a bad day like the rest of the world? Why not? Enquiring minds want to know.

Okay, I"m done ranting now. In fact, I think I"m done typing now. I'm off to drink some tea, check the election results, and then head to bed. Here's hoping for a minority government with a strong NDP presence. Hey, a girl can dare to dream, can't she?

** UPDATE**

*woohoo* Conservative minority...Although it's pretty freaking close still. Stupid Bloc. On the up-side, Jackie is leading or elected in 29 ridings!

Night folks!

3 Comments:

  • bah. why harper? why why why?

    why not jack?

    or paul.

    or jim?

    or preston. or peter.

    anyone.

    By Blogger chRistine, At Tue Jan 24, 08:06:00 am  

  • Sorry you've been cranky lately. That sucks, especially when people notice that you're cranky and don't understand that you also deserve to have a bad day and not fake it! I get sick of faking it too.

    Good luck with eliminating the smilies and explamation points from your posts and comments. Smilies would be tough for me to get rid of, only because they do help the reader figure out that you are kidding, not that you're a complete jackass. But good luck to you!!! ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Tue Jan 24, 02:03:00 pm  

  • I'm thinking that people who are clever enough for me to care will be able to read the seething sarcasm in between the lines.

    As I was able to tell you were mocking me without the wink! *grin* Such lovely people, the Internets! :)

    By Blogger canadian sadie, At Wed Jan 25, 12:53:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home