Cleaning house

Sunday, January 15, 2006

You know--some days the world really is your oyster.

I was about to come in and post about how productive my evening has been, and what a great day I've had overall. I decided to first check my email, to see if there were any Flylady reminders that I could delete. And I found happy news!

I had requested to be waitlisted for tickets for the Halifax taping of 'Go!' on CBC radio, and was told that it was highly unlikely any would become available. So when I checked my email, I was happily surprised to see an email saying that there were indeed tickets for Saturday's taping, and how many did I want? (insert dance of joy here)

I replied that I'd like four if possible, but I'd be happy with two, as I didn't want to be greedy, I just wanted to attend the taping. I get to see 'Go!' live! I get to watch them play Groove Shinny! I get to see Brent Bambury with a goatee! Wheee :) It's almost as good as getting Rick Mercer for Christmas!

So now I just have to trade shifts and get long enough off from work to attend the show. :) Whee me :)

And now, back to your regularly scheduled post.

Today was a productive day. I got up. I showered. I even dressed myself. Nothing so miraculous, but I did so without benefit of migraine headache, so the day started out super-fantastic already.

I made myself some coffee, which I remembered to buy during my 10:00 pm shopping expedition last night. Hurray for me.

I gathered together 5 photos from Christmas (harder to accomplish than you might imagine), and set out to attend a scrapbooking seminar where I was supposed to learn how to make (and actually make!) a page with a Christmas theme. I'm not super-keen on the whole scrapbooking thing as it requires an attention to detail that I just don't have. And like tole painting, I appreciate the amount of effort and dedication it requires, I just don't want it at MY house. But, it was a way to do a craft, spend some time with some friends that have kids--sans kids, and it was only $5, materials included.

So we went. My feet nearly froze off, but it was fun. I determined that scrapbooking is really only cut'n paste for adults, just with much more expensive scissors and glue. I made two cut'n paste soldiers and a strip of green with some tree ornaments on it. All this, with only some construction paper and some outrageously expensive cutters and glue. (Henceforth referred to as 'adhesive' because it's more grown-up that way.)

After the arts and crafts portion of the day, I came home and watched some bad TV. I had cheese, bread, and balsamic vinegar for lunch. I then proceeded to prep my door for painting.

I have a beautiful knotty pine, 8-panel door that I purchased about 3 years ago for a BARGAIN price. It was a $300 door, and I paid $25 taxes in. God bless Darren and his pack-rat ways. Anyway, this door was purchased with the intent that one day it would become an headboard. It's moved with me at least 3 times, and it's never made it out of its original plastic. Until today.

I took it in to the store a few weeks ago to have the end trimmed to size. Now it's perfectly symmetrical. It then lived propped behind the sofa for a couple of weeks. I decided Friday that this weekend off was the perfect time to address my lack of headboard. I purchased all the goodies, and even had my DIY mounting system cut to size.

Yesterday, migraine hit. I figured that since I was going to be using alkyds, I should likely start
without an headache. So I put it off until today. I sprayed the knots with coverstain. I waited 45 minutes, and sprayed them again. At this point, I was feeling incredibly productive, so I decided to tackle my closet door.

My closet bi-fold door has been broken since before I moved in. The pins don't reach, so the door won't stay on the closet. I bought the necessary pieces on Friday when I bought my paint. So while the cover-stain was drying, I began to repair the door. I felt powerful.

The phone rang, and Heidi invited me to the movies. So I abandoned the door and went to see Narnia. Save your $10.50. It was terrible. The animatronics were fabulous, but the movie itself dragged. Do yourself a favour and read the series instead. C.S.Lewis has a much better imagination than does the adapter of the screenplay.

When I came back, I finished hanging the door, and put a coat of primer on the door. In another 40 minutes it gets its first coat of paint...then tomorrow evening after work, one more. Tuesday night, I can hang the headboard, and I will be done! So happy!

I tend to put things off forever, but once I decide I want something done, I want it done YESTERDAY! It kills me that this door requires 4 coats of anything! Stinking oil-based paints! Better finish, but still. I'm so glad that it's been 10* and higher the last couple of days...It meant that I could leave the patio door open all afternoon while I was out to let the smells dissipate a little.

If I can figure out how to upload photos from my digital camera, I will perhaps post one here. My camera isn't very good quality, but it was a lovely, thoughtful gift, and I'm grateful to have it.

Can you tell I'm just overjoyed to not have an headache anymore? I hope you all had a lovely weekend, and an even better afternoon.

1 Comments:

  • I, actually, enjoyed Narnia. I really think, however, that the book was better. The book is ALWAYS better. I was disappointed, however, with how wimpy they made Peter. My daughter and her friends thought he was hot, but I thought he was a wussy little girly-man.

    Yeah, and I'm SO not a scrapbooker. I made a scrapbook, once, long before this process became *in*; but it was a scrapbook documenting my courtship with my first husband. HARDLY something I pull out and cherish at this point in my life. In fact, it may have been one of the artifacts of my first marriage that was ceremoniously burned in the backyard of my rented condo, so many years ago.

    I am actually not very sentimental. I put my pictures online and grow bored of doing even that quite quickly.

    But I'd go with you to a scrapbooking class, because I just cannot picture you at one.

    Get it.. picture/scrapbook.. bit of a pun there..

    By Blogger chRistine, At Mon Jan 16, 09:06:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home