Cleaning house

Sunday, January 08, 2006

So much to post...

...I've had about a bazillion great ideas of things I'd like to post about. Things I've been wanting to post for a couple of days now...But I've been soooo tired! So today, you will get an Hodge-podge assortment of shiny things that have caught my attention this week.

This one, I found over at Busy-Mom and to be honest, it's the first time I've been even remotely tempted to do a 19-80's AOL-style 'Me too!'

FOUR On THE FLOOR (no connection here, just a fun link to a fond memory)
Four Jobs You've Had in Your Life: Going all the way back to high school: Sub-shop clerk (submarine technician), deli-clerk, amusement park guest services co-ordinator (professional company picnic organizer), and currently my gig as resident know-it-all and bossy-bitch at the hardware store.

Four Movies You Could Watch Over and Over: Shawshank Redemption, Singin' In The Rain, Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, and South Pacific. I'm a bit of an old-movie freak.

(Four Books You Could Read Again and Again:) To be honest, this wasn't part of the original but I read more than I watch movies. I also care far more about books than I do about movies--so I added it.
A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry. This is, simply put, a phenomenal story. Every time I hit the end, I am saddened that there is no more to read when there is obviously so much more to know.
The Last Time They Met - Anita Shreve. This book makes me happy, but also makes me consider the intricacies of mental illness and imagination. I don't know if that's what the author was looking for, but that's what it does for me. Also, I love Shreve's writing style.
Ken Follet - Pretty much anything he has published. I know they're all pretty much the same, but they're good, and they make me happy. I feel the same way about Agatha Christie. So there.
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving. I love this book.

Four TV Shows you Love To Watch: The West Wing, Prison Break, Grey's Anatomy...I'm digging on now...there's nothing much else that I LOVE to watch...But Prison Break really rocks my world. The Sopranos--I forgot about them. I like them too.

Four Places You've Been on Vacation: I don't often GO on vacation--when I get it, I usually use it to visit my family in Southern Ontario. I have been to France (wonderful!), and I also enjoy Montreal and Ottawa. I have been camping at Algonquin Park several times, as well as Kejimikujik National Park and Kouchibougouac Park.

Four Websites You Visit Daily: This one is easy. Mimi Smartypants, Pajama Ramblings, Mrs.Flinger, and Page4Paige. I also visit R*belle daily. Lots of others, but these are my 'must-reads'.

Four of Your Favourite Foods: penne arrabiata, wild mushroom soup from Il Mercato (the best restaurant on earth), raspberry pie, and roast beef dinner with all the trimmings.

Four Places You'd Rather Be: Here visiting my sister, here visiting my other sister, here being a tourist, and here spending money.

Four Albums You Can't Live Without: Again--an indication that I am getting old. The Best of Neil Diamond, Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, Cake - Fashion Nugget, Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around, (who can make it just four?) Blue Rodeo - Five Days in July, and Ben Folds Five - Whatever and Ever Amen.

Four People You'd Tag to Play this Game: This is why I hate these things. It's too much like a chain letter. And really, you only send chain letters to people you don't like so much anyway. So if you want to play, play. I'll be happy, overjoyed, in fact. But if you don't want to play, don't. I won't be hurt. See? Isn't it much better this way?



Okay...that's enough of that. Time for more regularly scheduled posting. And a colour chage--we could all use a colour change, I'm sure.

Man, typing out the albums part made me go fetch them all and want to play them. The problem is deciding which to play first! I'm going to have to upload them so that I can play them whenever I want while I play on the computer. That's the ticket. Then one big shuffle and I'm good to go.

Today I went and retrieved the car from the parking lot at the gym. When the car died a few days ago, I couldn't bring it home because someone was parked in front of me. (If I didn't blog this, I'll do it tomorrow--it's an amusing tale. Now.) So today, I got a lift in with Lynn (which beats the hell out of taking the bus, I assure you). I didn't have to wait long for the other car to leave, then I put it in forward and came home. Goodness knows what I'll do with the little blue monster, but I will have to decide soon as I am currently hogging prime visitor parking because it was pull-through and on a flat spot.

I'm beat, so I'm off to bed. I'll try to fill you in tomorrow evening on the joy that is public transit.

2 Comments:

  • OHMYGOSH i loved " a fine balance ". it goes on record as one of my favourite books ever. however, your other choices.. not so much. i LOVE anything by findley, as you know.. especially "not wanted on the voyage" which is my all time favourite novel and I read it at least yearly. I *LOVED* the time traveller's wife.. You MUST MUST MUST read this book, Sarah. And my fourth choice would be "the red tent", which is another MUST READ.

    go.to.the.library.now.

    By Blogger chRistine, At Tue Jan 10, 07:51:00 am  

  • You and I have very different taste. I've not read any Findley in over 15 years--it might be that it's time to try again. I haven't tried The Time Traveller's Wife, but I absolutely HATED his other book, The Navigator of New York. It was beyond horrible. I started it, and I couldn't even force myself to finish--and I finish EVERY book I start. You suggested the Red Tent before, and I really am going to try it. And I really WANT to like Findley, so I'm hoping that being older will help.

    By Blogger canadian sadie, At Tue Jan 10, 08:56:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home