Cleaning house

Thursday, October 20, 2005

crazy

I think I"m going crazy. I searched this entire apartment top to bottom tonight looking for double A batteries.

I knew I had the batteries. I distinctly remembered having them in my hand, and saying to myself, "Self, you should put these here--in this safe place--so that you will be able to find them easily next time you need them." And I did. Then I promptly forgot where that place was.

This wouldn't be such an issue, if I hadn't actually LOOKED in that place 4 times in the search for batteries. I even searched my sock drawer, I was that desperate. I couldn't imagine putting batteries in my sock drawer, but all the places I WOULD put batteries had come up empty. I gave up in the end.

Now, as I sit down to blog, I look to my right, and there, peeking out at me from underneath NOTHING, is a big honkin' pack of batteries. Ah well--at least now I can fix my clock and move on with my life in a more timely fashion. And for the record, the batteries now live in the top drawer of the desk.
I have been reading Mrs.Flinger too much. I have an overwhelming urge to type the phrase 'Y'all'. It's not a bad thing, except that you would all know it wasn't hte real me and that I was only doing it to look cool. I really don't think that there are any circumstances where Canadians can get away with 'y'all'. I wish there were--it's really fun to say.

So today, my boss was talking to me about helping his son with his math homework. The kid is in grade 9, and he's doing fractions. I don't know about you, but I don't recall fractions ever being this difficult. They had the kid doing quadratic equations with fractions as numerator and denominator--fair enough. But then some of the fractions were positive, and some of the fractions were negative. Some were being added, some subtracted, and some multiplied. Yikes!!! Tough stuff. He was asking me (my boss, not his son) if I knew how to subtract negative numbers. (I do, and was able to explain the process in terms he could explain for his son to understand).

When was the last time anyone in your adult life ever asked you, in the line of duty, to subtract negative fractions from other negative fractions? Hell, when was the last time you used fractions for anything other than measuring wood? Not that I think everything in the world has to have a practical application, or even that some things are not worth knowing...but sheesh! What practical purpose can this serve in real life? This is a serious question, because I just don't get it.

I like ice cream.

But not as much as I like cake. I am especially fond of hte white pound cake that is sold by the Atlantic Superstore (a division of Lowblaws--cousin to Zehr's). This cake is the bomb. We get it every month for the birthdays at the team meeting at work. It's kinda my thing--when people start to grumble about having to go to the meeting--I explain that there will be cake. And that if they are nice to me, I will even share the cake with them. I act like the cake is all mine, and all for me. It's stupid, but it's my thing, and 90% of the staff laugh and think it's entertaining. I don't mind being stupid if people are entertained. The 10% that are not even mildly amused, I think are big fat party-poopers and I don't like them anyway. (how's that for maturity?)

I believe I mentioned yesterday that my cousin is in town with her two little babies. We're meeting for breakfast tomorrow--and I'm very excited. I may look out some family photos of stuff she won't have seen to take with me. I'm so excited to meet her girls. I hope it's fun and not awkward.

Tomorrow will be a long day--breakfast, then work until close. Saturday, I work at 6:30 am and then after my regular job I picked up a gig serving at a catered function. It's cash money, so I'm quite happy about it. It'll make for a long day, though.
'So sunday, I'm looking forward to doing not much of anything. My only goal is to make it to the gym. I am considering getting some personal training sessions in order to give myself an incentive boost--but I really can't fit them into the budget. We shall see--I think that it may be what I need to get myself on track. If I can find someone to split them with me, it drops the price considerably. And I think you'd still get just as much from them if there was only one other person, around the same fitness level, sharing your time-slot.

I'm up in the air about it. It's a fiar bit of money. Has anyone else used a personal trainer? How did you feel about it? Did you find that it helped with the motivation and the accountability? Did it make you feel more confident about having a fitness 'routine'? All things i want to know--as these are the things I would hope to take away from training sessions. That, and I'd like to leave another 5 or 10 pounds behind!

8 Comments:

  • I keep the batteries in the fridge drawer, it allegedy helps keep them alive longer, however it really just means I know where they are! I have never had a personal trainer although I seriously need one!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Oct 21, 10:23:00 am  

  • Yes, "y'all" is a great word...for times when you need to use you (plural) and "you guys" just doesn't cut it. Of course, I grew up in Texas (or "Tayx-us"), so I can get away with it. :)

    As far as using fractions with equations, if the kid goes into a technical field such as math or physics or engineering, s/he will use them a lot. I had to know that stuff to get through grad school. Otherwise, it's only really useful for fun things like proving that 1=2.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Oct 21, 10:46:00 am  

  • In the architectural field that I'm in, I'm using fractions on a daily basis, along with lots of converstions and area calculations. Of course, it's not anything like quadratic equations.

    I like ice cream too!

    I've only had a few personal training sessions, and if you get the right trainer, they're great. They keep you motivated and they show you the correct way to do things so you get better results and don't hurt yourself. That would be great if you could split it with someone.

    By Blogger Paige, At Fri Oct 21, 10:55:00 am  

  • alright. BREN-DUH was a personal trainer. she got her piece of personal training paper in the mail, after she did it by correspondence. yes, a mail-in personal trainer. so how do they know she could personally train someone? well, they didn't. and you know what? they didn't have to. because she worked at FIT FOR LIFE (or, Fat for Life) making 8 bucks an hour upselling fat people on expensive slim fast.

    so do i like them?

    no. not really.

    By Blogger chRistine, At Fri Oct 21, 05:52:00 pm  

  • I enjoy quadratic equations (amazing for a math-phobe). I actually even enjoy fractions. I've always gotten along well with word problems and algebra. But rarely before have I encountered them all in the same place at the same time.

    I concede the usefulness of negative fractions, although I still don't fully comprehend it.

    Chris, give me some credit...do you think I'd go to the fat crack-whore trainer, or the fully accredited, university educated, fit-looking trainer? Yes, that's correct. Although, you'd better hope she gets to be a super-trainer...then she could make some cash and actually PAY her child support like she's supposed to ;)

    By Blogger canadian sadie, At Sat Oct 22, 12:13:00 am  

  • now she's a REGISTERED massage therapist.. which is a very nice way of saying her blow jobs are covered on your employer's insurance plan. you pay the 65 bucks upfront, but they'll refund you.

    *snicker*

    By Blogger chRistine, At Sat Oct 22, 09:11:00 am  

  • Okay Ya'll, Superstore pound cake ROCKS!
    When I visit my parents in Florida I use Ya'll and Ma'am as much as possible but when I return home to NS. It's doesn't work as well as Yousguys!

    By Blogger -LGirl-, At Mon Oct 24, 07:14:00 pm  

  • HAHAHAH.. I love saying "ya'll", but more than anything, it just sort of happens. I get teased a lot at work because when I teach it poors forth like maple syrup. (yum)

    Anywho.. I seriously need a personal trainer. BAD. And I got my B.S. in exercise physiology so I started to go that route but I wasn't hard enough on people. "Wanna eat ice cream? OK! I'll join you."

    See? Doesn't work. :-)

    By Blogger Mrs. Flinger, At Mon Oct 24, 09:12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home