Cleaning house

Friday, October 07, 2005

of bachelors and parties and boredom too!

It is autumn and I feel like typing in brown.

I've been a busy girl while I was afk. I've been working like a demon, a woman possessed, a rented mule. I've also been going out festing, and staying in cocooning.

I've been celebrating, and feeling sorry for myself. I've been feeling both rich, and incredibly impoverished at once. How's them apples?

For details, I submit the following.

Last weekend: A guy from work had a bachelor party. I'm not particularly fond of him, nor his bride to be, but everyone at the lumber-end of the store was involved. I went out with the girls (the usual group minus Lynn as she blew us off for her loser boyfriend). I did not expect to have a good time, as I really dislike one of the girls. She's too damned 21.

Anyway, a great time was had, martinis were drunk. I had cocktails. We danced. I was flirted with and comlimented by other people's spouses. Myself and the 21 year were the only ones that were not married or seriously attached. The 21 year old does not let that stop her. Which is one of the many reasons I am not fond of her. I will accept the compliments, flirt enough to boost their egos, and then I ensure that the lines are firmly drawn and that everyone is aware that's the end of the fun. Makes for a fun enough time--except that being surrounded by married people generally scares away the possibility of meeting single people.

I find that the people I know who are married get way more out of control when they drink than my single friends do. And even if they're not 'out of control' because they're drinking, it's because they feel they have a built in safety net. They push the boundaries and the lines of what is right (and moral!) for somone in a relationship to do because they a) are excited just to have the opportunity, or b) figure that they won't have to follow through with their overtures and suggestions because they have to go home...so when they're shot down they can blame it on 'being married' instead of having to consider that they're really not that attractive after all. Just a thought.

Anyway, except that everyone but me was married, I still had a great time.

Why do married women feel it necessary to make excuses to their spouses for their late hours out, or their potentially lewd behaviour? For the record, none of the married women I know behave nearly as badly as the married men--and yet they seem to feel so much more guilt about any questionable activities.

*NB--This is not to say that the women were well-behaved simply because they were *better* behaved than their male counterparts. 'Good' is not a word I would use to describe what I witnessed this past weekened. Perhaps I'm just too uptight for words. But dammit, I like me that way. I don't act as ____ (insert word of choice here!) as these women and I'm single. I can't imagine doing it when I'm in a relationship...but hey. I guess I'm an odd duck.

I'm sorry to have left you all with the same post to look at for the last couple of weeks. It has been pointed out to me (thanks Christine!) that it wasn't really all that xciting a read after the 473rd time through it. I will endeavour to do better in the future. No promises though.

Stupid computer's on a work-to-rule campaign--just like half my staff at work. I'm finished posting for tonight, as I can't argue with it any longer. I'll be back on Monday--after Turkey with Heather in F'ton. Have a great weekend, folks. If the computer ever catches up with me, I'm off to bed.

2 Comments:

  • SPAM!

    and i really really miss you.

    and you know what? i've seen married people act very inappropriate when they are out without their spouses. i was at a bachelorette a few years ago and some of the girls were dancing closely and letting guys touch them for free drinks.

    i wasn't sure what i was more pissed off at: the fact that they were dishonouring their marriages or the fact that they were allowing themselves to be prostituted for a rye and coke.

    disgusting.

    i can buy my own booze.

    By Blogger chRistine, At Fri Oct 07, 08:26:00 am  

  • Amen, Sistah. I have never in my life accepted a free drink from someone I didn't buy back for. I don't like the implication of the strings that may be attached.

    On another note, I think I'm about to install the blogger verification thingy. I hate this spam crap.

    By Blogger canadian sadie, At Fri Oct 07, 09:05:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home