Cleaning house

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Decisions, decisions.

I have a new computer desk/armoire thingy that i got delivered yesterday. Today, I need to finish it. It's already 2:30 pm.

I need to make a choice.

Clear finish or dark mahogany stain. Or, some other funky finish that I have not previously considered.

The reasoning:

The piece is made of pine. I hate pine. This would indicate that staining it would be a better choice. EXCEPT. Staining is a multi-step proccess. This takes time. I'm not good at projects that require multiple steps. I always get bored/distracted/side-tracked somewhere between steps one and the end. This would indicate that a clear-coat is the way to go.

Except that I hate pine. And once it's got a finish on it, I'd have to sand it down or strip it in order to re-do it at a later date.

It needs to have SOMETHING done to it if I intend to build and use it. Which I do. Ideally? Today. At the latest? Tomorrow.

So.

What to do.

I could PAINT it...which would give it a solid finish in two coats, and a shiny finish when it's dry...which would be nice. But there are umpteen-bazillion different shades of paint, and then I'd have to choose one. Which could send me into seizures at the paint counter. So. Yeah. What to do.

Suggestions?

p.s. I think the last time I ever finished a piece of furniture, I swore it would be the last time I ever did it, and I'd gladly pay someone else to do anything else that needed refinishing in the future. Which I'd gladly do, but at this point...I want it done, and cannot wait the several weeks it would take to get someone else to do it for me. Also this way? I can't **** at anybody else if it doesn't turn out how I like it.

Stupid freaking decor decisions. They kill me. I'm so BAD at being a girl!

If I paint it? I'll paint it black. Shiny black. Well, maybe semi-gloss black. But black.

In other news, the last thing I painted was cool. I turned a knotty pine door into a new headboard. It's cream coloured. It took a week though, because it had to have a coat of primer and 3 coats of oil paint. My apartment stunk for a month. But it looks freaking cool.

That is all. Enjoy your day. :)

2 Comments:

  • giving you seizures. i can picture it. just paint it orange and paint little blue fishes on it. or get little blue fish stick-ons. aquatic is tacky, and yet whimsical.

    this, from the woman who bought bedroom furniture from people in their 70's. i need some whimsy.

    By Blogger chRistine, At Tue Aug 22, 04:39:00 pm  

  • Have you seen the new Varathane? It comes in different colours.

    By Blogger Sean Hully, At Wed Aug 23, 07:43:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home