Cleaning house

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Hello? Liver?

This is the weekend that my liver finally moves out. After the abuse that it has taken from me this weekend, I cannot imagine even the weakest of livers sticking around. And it’s only going to get worse.

It has been a busy weekend of socializing. Which is good, considering it was one of my two New Year’s resolutions. I resolved to be more social with more interesting people. And so far? Doing well.

Thursday night I had originally had plans to go out on a date with Paul. He called up on Wednesday because both of us had not considered that Thursday was the start of the long weekend. He was supposed to be going out of town with the boys, and wanted to see if we could reschedule for Wednesday instead. I didn’t get the message until after I had already made plans of my own. (Long walk along the waterfront, fresh air, exercise—good times.) So I called back and said “No problem, maybe some time next week. Let me know.”

Thursday, I had then determined it would be a gym day, followed by The Cleaning of Up. The apartment is a write-off, and I really need to spend some quality time at home. I thought this weekend would be a good opportunity for that. Boy, was I wrong.

So, I called Heidi and asked if she wanted to hook up after work and hit the gym. She said yes, but when she came to meet me at the store after work, she waffled. And I’m such a die-hard gym rat, that I waffled with her. We did errands, hit the grocery store, and determined that beer was in order. We stocked up for the weekend, and determined that later that evening we would get together and just have a few drinks and chat.

Later, she twisted my rubber arm and suggested we go downtown to the Pogue Fado. Sounds like fun. I did not intend to abuse my liver on Thursday, it just happened that way. I got to Heidi’s with clothes and beer in tow, to find that the boys’ trip to the valley had been cancelled and they were at Heidi and Rob’s drinking too. So we all hung around a while, drank a lot, and went to the Middle Deck instead. We didn’t even get there until after midnight! I am such a party fiend.

So I crashed at Heidi’s on Thursday night (There was a lot of drama at the bar—much as I enjoy Rob’s friends, I can’t hang out with Heidi and Rob together at the same time very often. My drama tolerance is not that good) and bussed it home on Friday morning.

Friday, I tidied around, downloaded music (Horrors!) all morning, and did laundry. It was a good day. I was invited to Lynn and Joanne’s for Easter dinner, so around 2:00 I went over there. I made my apologies upon arrival that due to my internal organ abuse of the evening before I would be unable to partake of the homemade wine consumption planned for the evening. After the third glass, I changed my mind. Dinner was great, the conversation was great, the hors d’oeuvres were great, and the wine? The wine was excellent. All 6 bottles of it. We drank. A lot. At about 10:00 I stumbled my way out to the bus stop and cruised on home.

Today? Today I had to work at 10:00…that meant leaving the house at 8:30 am. Saturday bus schedules stink. Work has been insanely intense, but fun. I love it when it’s busy. We did more sales in my flooring department today that some of our smaller stores will do in a week in the entire building. *{flex}* That makes me feel all superior and impressive. (Come on—oooh, aaaah, you know you want to!)

And tonight? Tonight we have had a pre-planned girls-night-out for quite some time. Tonight is day three of my wholehearted attempt to pickle my liver. I’m doing a mighty fine job of it, I must say. Thus far, I have had no headaches, no hangovers, and no sickness whatsoever. Nevertheless, I feel strongly that it’s only a matter of time before the cirrhosis sets in. I’m wondering if it is too early to get onto a donor list now?

We are off to the Lower Deck again tonight. I know it’s my favourite place on earth and all? But even I’m starting to get a little tired of it. I’m beginning to feel that if I don’t find a new place to go, the Lower Deck will lose some of its magic and not be my Happy Place™ anymore. And that saddens me greatly. But the girls want to go there, and who am I to disappoint? Nobody, that’s who. I’m a trouper. And what’s more important? I’m no quitter. That is why my liver and I are going to continue on our quest for the first live embalming in the history of humankind. If not embalming, at least a good pickling.

Domenic’s gone to Toronto for the Easter holiday, so I’m single, footloose and fancy-free until Tuesday. And I hope to enjoy it a bunch. I may do nothing tomorrow but wander naked around the apartment. Hopefully, I’ll be nursing an extra-large coffee all morning and I won’t be nursing an headache at the same time. Time will tell.

I hope you all have a great Easter and a lovely Saturday night. I’ll be back tomorrow. If you see my liver anywhere? Give it your sympathy, but please ask it to come back home. I promise to be nicer to it next week.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home