Cleaning house

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Now, we are Six.

There was a huge fire tonight in the town where I live, out on the 'skirts of Halifax. It was so close to my house, that I couldn't go home tonight.

There are 7 buildings in my complex. Well, there were. Now, we are Six.

I came out of work tonight just after 5, and across the sky I could see billowing clouds of thick black smoke. I looked toward the smoke and thought, "wow, Sackville's burning and I'm all out of marshmallows!" Then I immediately thought, "traffic's going to be a real bitch going home!" So I went to the gym.

Now, before you think me callous, I was planning to go to the gym already. And while I was concerned for the people who would be affected, I didn't really give them or their plight a whole lot of thought.

The gym was packed, as seems to be usual on Tuesdays around suppertime. It's odd, but I'm beginning to notice a pattern and can usually avoid the most horrible of the crowds.

I worked out for an hour and a half, slightly more, perhaps. I then changed back into my uniform and headed for home. Now, I'd been listening to the radio whilst working out. I couldn't QUITE hear what was going on, but I knew the fire was in Bedford, at the intersection where I live. There are a lot of houses and buildings there, so I wasn't really all that worried. I thought to myself, 'oh...bet that's MY house. Oh well, can't do anything about it' a couple of times. But I wasn't really serious.

I asked another woman in the dressing room if she'd heard anything about it...because I THOUGHT as I was heading into the changeroom I heard the name of my actual complex on the radio...but it was vague, and I couldn't quite hear it. The lady hadn't heard it, and nobody seemed to care...so I randomly mentioned that I thought my house might be on fire.

I headed to the car. I hit the highway for home, and heard that the traffic was still backed up and to proceed with caution. So I did...I took my exit, and drove toward my building, where I was waved off by a cop. He forced me to take a detour all around greater Bedford, coming nowhere near my home. I tried going around, catching the highway up an extra exit and coming back down to Bedford from Sackville. No dice. But I DID see that it was actually a blue building on fire....one of MY buildings. But I couldn't quite see which one. At this point, I actually began to be concerned. But still only mildly...as there was very little I could actually DO about it. Things had been fully engulfed at 5, by 7:30 I'm sure it was too late for ME to help with anything.

So I did what anybody would do in the same situation. I went to the mall. I checked my cell to call people, and Lynn had left me 2 calls...one was a message saying 'hey, um...don't panic, but I think your house is on fire.' And the second was "sorry if I panicked you, it's not YOUR house, but it's one of those houses...the one by the pool, I think. Call me!"

So I did, and she was able to tell me that on the news it had showed the building and it was definitely not mine. That actually gave me a sense of relief, so I was more tense about it than I had thought. It was nice to know I was not homeless, even though I could not go home.

So I went to the mall, and had some of the most delicious pizza on earth...and called Bill. He came to meet me at Finbar's and we had a couple of drinks while I waited to be able to go home.

It was a nice time. And he drove me across the parking lot to my car. Whereupon I asked him if I was supposed to kiss him or not before I got out. He got all awkward and uncomfortable and said "I dunno." So I rephrased..."Do you WANT me to kiss you or not?" And again an awkward "Umm....I dunno." And I nearly bolted.

But I didn't, and there was some awkwardness...and he tried to make me go away. And I nearly did...but then I didn't. And I am soooo glad that I didn't. And I don't intend to. And he didn't WANT me to, so I refuse. And I shall, henceforth, be called Jack....because of my terrier-like determination to grasp tightly to things which are pleasant to me. I will not be scared off by your facade. So there.

Anyway....That's all I'm going to say about that, except that I'm crazy about this boy, and I made a point of telling him so. And I know that he likes me back, because we're good kissers. :) Oh yeah, and because he told me so. :)

** back to our regularly scheduled story **

It took a bit longer than usual to leave, but I did, and then I came home. And I pulled up to a Red Cross truck parked at the side of the road, and firetrucks parked in my parking lot. There were about 20 firemen milling around in the parking lot in full rubber gear. They were waiting in case something else sparked up. But I asked if I could go home to my house, and they said it was okay...so I did. But I also said "Thank you very much, for keeping me safe" And two of them smiled wide, and one said 'you're welcome!' and the others looked at me funny. So I figure it was way worth it. :)

The worst part of the story...is that Kathy is homeless. My office manager's condo is missing. The buildings have 4 units per floor, three floors per building. Her entire side of her building has been razed. She has no home, no furniture, no clothes, and no stuff. I hope her cats got out alive. I hope her boyfriend made it out, too. But it's a horrifying thing to know that she has no home.

I emailed Scott at work right away to let him know not to expect her. I don't know where she is, but I'm assuming she's at her neice's house. I'll start a fund for her tomorrow, I'm sure she'll need it. What a horrible thing to happen.

Anyway....I feel terrible for the people in that building, and yet so relieved that it's not me. And then I feel bad about feeling relieved. And when I'm done feeling bad about that, I feel pleased about Billy, and knowing that I get to keep him. And I feel grateful that he came out to keep me company while I was temporarily without shelter. And I feel shallow for being so pleased about that, but it's not shallow to be grateful for the man you're in serious like with, is it?

*hugs* Night folks...more tomorrow. I'm exhausted right now.

7 Comments:

  • Wow. It's always a little surreal when something like that happens so close to you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Wed Mar 14, 10:26:00 am  

  • is it horrible to laugh? because i did. i admit it. it also reminded me of MY going to the gym story to come home and find the townhouse next to mine on fire and firemen in my house... and of course, all i could think of was, "I look like hell" not "I hope my neighbours and their pets are okay".

    but then, i suck like that. great story, glad you're safe.

    By Blogger chRistine, At Wed Mar 14, 10:27:00 am  

  • Happy to hear your house didn't burn, even though lots of other people lost all their stuff. Bright side.

    Also, I realise now that I ran behind your house the other day (week) -- after the ice storm, the wife and I were out jogging / sliding/ tempting fate, and we went down that greenbelt behind your place. Neato mosquito.

    Think you'll head to finbar's on St. Paddy's day?

    By Blogger themikestand, At Wed Mar 14, 03:08:00 pm  

  • shalom, doll. good yarn. great perspective. sorry about the fire.

    thanks for stopping by my blog and for appreciating cunt-isms as much as I do ;).

    By Blogger Katie Schwartz, At Wed Mar 14, 09:38:00 pm  

  • That's excitement that is never needed. I'm glad you're okay and it's nice of you to initiate a fund for your work aquaintance.

    By Blogger Sean Hully, At Wed Mar 14, 10:12:00 pm  

  • glad you are safe and housed!

    By Blogger afuntanilla, At Thu Mar 15, 07:05:00 pm  

  • That's tragic for the folks involved. You were fortunate.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At Fri Mar 16, 07:33:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home