Cleaning house

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Yikes

So the laptop fix-it place called back this morning, and the news is not good.
Apparently I spilled something on it at some point and the liquid ate through some guts. It needs new Ram, new memory, and a new keyboard. That's about $400 for those of you playing along at home. Ugh.
I really can't afford to replace it right now, but I'm feeling very cut off from the world-so I'm not sure that I can afford not to. One of the things I've been wanting to comment on us how much EVERYTHING is centred on the whole world being wired. Every TV commercial sends you to their website for info. Political parties point you to the web for news and policy statements.
And don't even get me started about the ubiquitousness of Google. (For instance, I can't go to www.m-w.com to see if that's really a word.). How many times a day do I think, 'hmmm...I wonder. I'll just go Google it...'.
We are so used to the spontaneity of information, the availability of instantaneous knowledge. They say that Canadians are more wired as a group than any other nation in the world. That being said, though, the last statistic I heard was about 65% of us were wired up. That's an unacceptable number, considering how 'necessary' we have made the internet to everyday life. And glibly saying that there are public access terminals available is trite. Most of the people that can't afford a computer don't have cars, or live too far away geographically from their local library. Expecting someone to bus for over an hour to Google for spinach dip recipes or to send a poke on Facebook is silly.
Anyway, enough ranting. It's hard to type on this tiny keyboard, and I have to cut the lawn and go computer shopping. Too much to do!
Have a happy Tuesday, Poppets. :)
Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

1 Comments:

  • I sympathize with your laptop woes. I have an idea of what you're going through with the whole "disconnect" thing. I have to go to the library to "hook up" because I can't afford regular service right now. But you know what? I'm finding it's not that bad. If anything, I'm more focused on the "real" world and what I need to accomplish. The internet is still a necessity for me but I might have found a happy medium, even though it is admittedly slightly inconvenient for me. However, I hope you survive okay without the laptop and that your information is in tact. I don't know what I'd do without mine.

    Word Verification word of the day: speardo

    By Blogger Sean Hully, At Wed May 13, 07:09:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home