Cleaning house

Monday, July 18, 2005

Sunday's child

I was off this weekend, and while I anticipated it being a dud, it turned out quite well.

Yesterday, I went and got my hair cut. Michelle Kennedy did it for me, and I must say that I like it a lot. It's really cute and sassy--which is exactly the look I'd love to have while I wait for it to grow a bit and be a bit more sexy.

It was hot and sunny out, so I wandered around a bit at the West End Mall. I saw a gold shirt that I liked at Mark's Work WearHouse, but I didn't want to spend $20 on a shirt that I really don't need. I'm still in economizing mode (for the next seventeen-billion years!) you know. Then, I went to Wal-Mart, to see if I could find a similar shirt, for way less cash. They had nothing but garbage, which is my typical Wal-Mart clothing search experience.

Then, I went to the Bay. Everything was on clearance, and a lot of stuff was 1/2 off. So I looked around, and found a t-shirt that I loved. It wasn't marked on sale, but I decided that if it was on sale, I'd buy it...and if not, I could go back and pay $10 for it anytime I liked and didn't need to buy it today.

I also found a bathing suit...a mix-and-match two piece that I love. It's flattering to my busty self, it's got the boy-cut bottoms-- and it's awesome. And, it was buy one piece, get the other free. So for $41 including tax, I got a new bathing suit, and a flirty little new t-shirt. Awesome.

Then, Lynn and I went to the driving range and hit a bucket of balls. I think she's going to become an addict like me. When we were there hitting balls, I remembered that I LOVE golf. I had so much fun. I will neeed to make allowances for the driving range in my budget, henceforth.

After the driving range, we went down to the Lower Deck and split some pitchers. It's becoming a habit...and not a good one. It's too expensive for me, even though I love it and it makes me really happy to be there.

So...I was out all day (or most of it) and busy into the night. And I had no phone call requesting a meeting time to return my stuff. So I was pretty much expecting a call today.

I had promised Gillian when I met up with her and her new husband last week that I'd go there for lunch today. (They live in Mahone Bay.) She asked if I'd like to meet up in the morning and go to church with them, so I said sure. It was interesting, as I'd never attended a Mormon service before...just the funeral when Shannon Burke's dad died.

It was an interesting service, that lasted about an hour and a half. Then, there was a 50 minute study session about the blessings that the people of God are given...based on Bible verses and redings from the Book of Mormon. After that, the men and the women separated...the women went to "The Relief Society" and the men attended ...something else that I forget.

The Relief Society meeting was amazing. The women talked about what characteristics one should look for in a man and potential partner (read: spouse). Then they talked about the ingredients for a good marriage...and how they found the perfect partner that they currently have...it was really wonderful to see so many women sitting around talking openly about making lists of characteristics they required in a partner.

Then we had a barbeque at Gill and Colin's. I had a really lovely afternoon. I enjoyed spending the time with Gill and Colin, and I enjoyed having the opportunity to visit a church with a different tradition than I'm used to.

It was especially interesting spending time with Gill. I had forgotten that she's so open about things that I usually don't discuss. It was refreshing to be able to have that conversation with her, and to talk openly about how difficult it is to develop a career with no family, and to develop a family while travelling for my career. Colin seemed to really understand where I was coming from--but I know that they're conditioned to believe that a woman's place is with her family, and that her primary function is to make a home for her family...so I guess I still need to take that with a grain of salt.

I really need to get a new keyboard so that I don't leave out so many letters. It's quite annoying having to go back and try to insert them again afterward and having to wait for the computer to catch up with me!

I got home around 6, expecting that Luke might have left me a message regarding my stuff. He didn't. I was also home all night afterward, and got no calls. I called his cell phone twice and got no response, so...who knows. I maygo into the store tomorrow and find my stuff in a bag at the custmer service desk. He's certainly not the man that I thought he was. I didn't think that he was such a coward as to not be willing to face me, even to return my stuff. It's a shame.

When we were talking about how people 'found' their husbands--Gillian shared a piece of advice that she was given by an elder. They told her to think of the type of man that she wanted to marry. Imagine all the characteristics that you believe make a good husband and father...then live your life in a way that you become the type of woman that man would want to marry. In other words, be the change that you want to see in the world. Profundity in a day with Gill...I'd have never guessed it.

It's funny--I felt that while I was sitting in that Relief Society meeting that I was right where I was supposed to be. That God had somehow made all the circumstances collide so that I would be right there listening to the messages that I needed to hear today. I know that hearing the women speak about their eternal marriages, and their commitment to their spouse and their families...made me realize that there's more to my relationships than what I had allowed myself to settle for. It's not enough to imagine yourself saying "When your father and I were first together..." You need to know that you'll live to an age where that story holds water.

Anyway--enough for one night. It was a fun and event filled weekend. No stuff, but the house is tidy and I have a new bathing suit. I also have a new goal to lose 15 pounds, and I am pretty sure I can do it if I get off my butt. :)

3 Comments:

  • Hey! I dont' know if you know this about me.. but I have a love relationship with all things Nova Scotia.

    What? You knew that? Oh, I say it all the time.. it's true it's true. :-)

    Welcome to blogging! Keep the good stuff 'comin!

    By Blogger Mrs. Flinger, At Sat Jul 23, 03:41:00 am  

  • I didn't know...but that's a good thing to have. :) I've acquired a love of this place since I've been here, and although I've moved around the Maritimes several times, I still call Halifax home.

    Thanks for the comment! I was basking in my anonymity, but what I really craved in my type-A way was validation!

    One day I'll figure out how to change colours, and add links and the like...then what a tangled web I'll weave!!!

    By Blogger canadian sadie, At Sun Jul 24, 03:59:00 pm  

  • vaLidated! again!

    i miss you and wish i could have come back to halifax this summer. oh well.. a weekend in ottawa will have to do.

    By Blogger chRistine, At Wed Jul 27, 08:18:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home