Cleaning house

Monday, November 20, 2006

Wentworth's big night.

So it was tonight...Prison Break. My weekly date with Wentworth Miller...man'o'my'dreams.

*SWOON*

H came over to watch with me, and get caught up. I haven't seen much of her at all since she announced her pregnancy. It was really nice to see her, and to chat a bit. But I don't know what made me think that her insatiable need for drama would be lessened any simply because she was pregnant.

This is going to sound harsh, and it will...no matter how I say it. But say it, I will.

She's having a lot of 'issues' with her pregnancy. She's 39 years old, and is not the ideal candidate for first-time motherhood. So some issues are to be expected. But right from the beginning, there have been issues that I have not even bothered to begin to understand.

When she first said that the doctors suggested she might have to terminate her pregnancy because there were too many possible difficulties. The baby wasn't developing properly, it was going to have birth defects, it was going to be stillborn. Any number of horrifying and impossible outcomes. Complete with percentages and probabilities.

I didn't ask a whole lot of questions, because frankly? I didn't know what to say, and how to respond. And as it turns out? I was right to not really question much.

Her story has changed several times. Her drama has increased exponentially as her pregnancy has progressed. She talks all the time about the possible need to terminate. And yet? It turns out that the termination may be optional. She had an amnio, but has not yet heard results. And if there was a NEED to terminate? I'm pretty sure that the doctors would have made sure she had the results prior to the 4 month mark.

She talks about percentages of likelihood of CP, of retardation, of all kinds of things. And all I can think about is that "Sure, you've got a 1:500 chance they'll have it...but you have a 499:500 chance that they won't!" I don't understand the pessimism, I guess. If you're happy about being pregnant (and she claims to be) then embrace it. Accept that there are inherent risks with anything. Accept that women have been doing this without benefit of tests and percentages for thousands of years. And be happy.

I guess that's all I've got for tonight. I'm having a hard time keeping my opinions to myself in the Real World. So you all have to be subjected to them. I'm sure you'll survive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home