Cleaning house

Friday, December 28, 2007

Home again?

Well, here I am, back in Amherst again. I got back two evenings ago, and walked into my house--fully expecting it to be full of my stuff.

"Oh no!" I thought, "I've been robbed!" Except that my stuff hadn't even showed up yet, so it wasn't really 'robbed' so much as 'still have no f'ing stuff'.

The movers decided to pick up my stuff on the date that i had given them as a deadline for delivery. When I called the moving company yesterday to say 'hey, i expected my stuff to be oh...I don't know...MOVED by the 27th?' they replied with 'yeah, so did I'. "I don't think you quite understand." I stated. "When can I expect my stuff to be IN MY HOUSE?" "How's Saturday?" "Well, it's not fucking today -- now, is it?" Okay, so I didn't swear at him. But I was clearly not happy. Poor fellow. I used up all my patience on the last two knobs.

Christmas home was great. I had a lovely time. I did absolutely nothing but sit at the table and read. Christmas eve I went to dinner with two old friends from high-school and their families...that was lovely.

So much to tell, and yet, so little...

I've been gone forever, it seems. I suck, I know. But dial-up at home blows chunks.

So...part of the reason Thursday (last post) was so shit-tastic, was that while i was dreading having to go in and have a sit-down with my office manager to find out why she was being such a bag, she was calling our VP Operations to tell him I'm a grade-A cunt and that she was quitting.

Alas, my DM talked her out of it. Which meant I still got to go on vacation, but means that i'm stuck with the Cunty-Old-Bag (COB) indefinitely. AND that I will be stuck with her until I can make her quit again.

She's been actively subversive ever since I got here, and I've been trying to nip that shit in the bud. I've made a point of going to her and asking if I can help her with anything, if there's anything I am not doing that Tom used to do for her, if there's anything I can do better to help her with her job. I've been getting 'not really, everything's fine' as a reply. Except that she's been making a list of things that she feels I'm not doing up to her standard, and using them to try and get me in trouble with the DM instead. If I ASK YOU if I can do better, an it's your job to assist me? Fucking help me, don't hang me out to dry.

Anyway. It's a really pleasant work environment. Not that it was all that shit-hot to start with...but that made it really pleasant coming back from vacation.

The wedding...the wedding was a hoot. The rehearsal party was Thursday night, and as I had to close the store we knew we couldn't make it. I didn't work on Friday, and drove down to Halifax. Billy worked until 4:30, so we headed for Lunenburg pretty late--I think we left around 8:30.

When we got to L'burg, we checked into the hotel and went to a couple of Room parties taking place. We were staying in the 'Boy' hotel--Trace and the maids were at the other one. It was a blast.

Saturday was errands and churching. I looked fabu, if I say so myself. And I do. I did my reading, which I got at 10 pm the night before. It was a poem of questionable quality but ringing with sentiment, and it went quite well.

The party was a hoot. I LOVE Cape Bretoners. I need to find me one to marry so I can have my own CB Wedding. It's a good time. Too much booze, but a good time.

I was exhausted when we got back to the hotel, but Billy invited everyone into our room for the after-party--so around 4:30 am I finally went to bed.

Good time. Joey stayed with us, and drove back to Halifax with us. She realized why Billy's so much fun. Which is nice. (Even though now *I* think he's a douche.) He IS fun.

Snow storm all the way back to the 'Fax on Sunday...I spent the night in Hali, which was not all it was cracked up to be.

I had to go back into the store for a while on Monday, which was unpleasant, as I had to deal with the COB. She acted as though nothing had happened, and she even went so far as to leave a Christmas card on my desk. Passive-aggressive old hag. Anyway. :)

I had told them I was flying out on Monday, and not Tuesday, because otherwise I'd have never gotten to take all of my vacation. As it is, I'm losing a day already. Oh well.

I flew home on Tuesday--which was good. Talked to Billy online on Wednesday and I believe Thursday...then not again until last night. So yeah, you can see where this is headed, can't you, Boys and Girls?

It took me about 4 days to stop being pissy and stressed about work, and then the night before I had to come back, I didn't sleep a wink. The night before, i tossed and turned all night, so didn't rest much then either. Anxiety blows.

Coming home to my empty house took the cake. And then my 14 hour day yesterday was good too. I should be putting in another 14 hour day today, but I'm here blogging and avoiding getting out of my cot and jammies. I don't wanna.

On the positive side: (and it was a mainly positive vacation!) I got a beautiful new digital camera. I made some decisions about my life while I was home (i'll fill you in later), and I've got some big stuff to plan for this year.

Billy and I are doing something (don't know what yet) for New Year's eve, and then I think you won't be seeing much more from that quarter in these pages. I need to take back my life and my poor, battered self-esteem. I need to be loved in a way that makes me feel good about myself and my relationship--not one that makes me wonder and wish and grasp at straws. So. Yeah.

Anyway--you're mostly up to date. I have to go shower and haul my self in to work.

Hope you all had a fantastic Christmas, and a good boxing day too. :)

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Oh honey that sucks- what an up and down holiday...
    Hopefully things will get better in the New Year!

    By Blogger Princess of the Universe, At Fri Dec 28, 10:55:00 am  

  • Vacations are always too short aren't they? And I can't believe the crap you're going through with those movers. They definitely suck.

    By Blogger Sean Hully, At Fri Dec 28, 12:17:00 pm  

  • Yup movers suck but at least you've more time to decorate.
    Oh no I've got a COB! It's worse than school I have to "report" almost everymove to the Team Leader!
    Chin up, think of the positive, make your list of things you wanna do and go do them (I wanna go to Vancouver Island - who knows I might make it this year!).
    Hope you have a fantastic New Year (if not most of the year at least the party!):)

    By Blogger Twizi, At Sat Dec 29, 05:10:00 pm  

  • Fucking hell. It never rains but it pours.

    As Twizi says, chin up. COB will be on her way before long, but just make sure the DM is up to speed on how you feel about it all, first. Ass-covering in advance, you might say; that way, next time the DM might just accept the resignation and realise the hassle one member of staff has caused.

    In other news, the movers are clearly retarded.

    By Blogger badgerdaddy, At Sun Dec 30, 01:03:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home