Cleaning house

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Man, time flies.

It's already Wednesday? Where has the time gone?!

I'm completely overwhelmed at work right now, so this will/should be shorter than usual.

Where've I been? What've I been doing? I'm glad you asked!

I closed on Friday, so stayed home Friday night. This was a good thing. I was pooped. Saturday, I worked all day. At 3, Devo (the POF boy I have known for a long while) called me at work to see if I wanted to do something that night. Having no plans, I did. I worked until 7:30, got some groceries, and was home by 8.

We went bowling! In Dieppe! Yes, I really know how to party. It was actually kinda fun. For the first game or so. But he doesn't talk much. He's funny as hell when he does, but I tire very quickly of having to carry ALLLL the conversation. Feels too much like work. Anyway, it was fun.

I got to witness some of the young leaders of tomorrow having social time at the bowling alley--all I have to say is that I'm damned glad to not be a kid today. I couldn't wait for high school to be over, and I'm pretty sure all the kids in the herd we were watching feel the same way.

Saturday night I was up very late. Sunday I slept in a bit--until 10 am. It was delicious.

I then cleaned up a storm--first time since I've moved in, really. I scrubbed light-plates, and wiped baseboards. I even swept the floor. But only in 4 rooms. The rest of the house is still a dumpsite. I emptied 2 more boxes, moved my bookshelf, relocated the books from the front hallway into the actual bookshelf. I even moved my laundry from the chair. I was Productive.

I then avoided going in to work by making carrot soup, and banana bread. I couldn't find my recipe book, so I used a banana bread recipe off the internet. I didn't like it. I'm eating it, and I fed it to company, but I don't enjoy it much.

So Company. While I was making the soup, my phone rang. It was DD. Corporate security. Calling on his way home from PEI. To chat. (tell me I don't know how to read people--HA!) We chatted a bit. I was friendly, but not terribly encouraging. We talked for 17 minutes *boggle* and then I hung up.

I moved on with my day/life. About an hour later, the phone rang again. Apparently DD was too tired to drive all the way back to SJ, so was coming my way to get an hotel and crash, and did I want to be a good samaritan and go eat with him when he got to town. I said okay, and thought to myself--either this guy is a much better surveillance guy than I'm giving him credit for, or he's waaaaay more transparent at the boy-girl stuff than I had given him credit for. Either way....ugh.

At 7:30 we went to eat--I just had fries because I'd already had copious amounts of soup earlier. We chatted, it was nice. When he came to drop me off, I stopped at the store to pick up some work for a report that I HAD to have done for Monday morning. I was quite clear about my deadline.

I invited him in for banana bread and tea, which we had. And we chatted in my kitchen. For far too many hours. I finally said 'okay, you have to leave now.' at 1:30 am. Because I still had work to do. So he left, looking exhausted and slightly awkward.

I didn't stay up to finish my report. I should have, but I did not.

Monday morning, I was up early to finish it. I did not. Yesterday at work? I did not finish it. Yesterday afternoon? I got busted for not having it finished. Oops.

Last night I worked late. I did not finish it. This morning, I got up early. I have not finished it. I have an hour still--assuming I stop blogging right....NOW. I have no intention of doing so.

Work has gotten back to a stage of overwhelmingness. People are unhappy at work right now; and I'm trying so hard to fix THAT that I'm having a hard time keeping up with the meaningless TASKS that I'm burdened with. I have no less than 6 checklists I'm responsible to fill out and complete daily. Some of the items on the checklists are simple 3 minute jobs. Some of them are 50 minute jobs. Added together, the tasks equal about 10 hours of work. Some of it I can delegate, but right now that's more work than just doing it myself. But that doesn't leave me any time to engage my staff in things that are pleasant or cheerful. So Bleh. If I didn't care about the people, it would be a lot easier to do my job.

Oh well. 'tis life.

I'm soooo tired these days. I haven't caught up from the weekend yet--and even though I've been able to sleep in each day, my body has decided that 6:50 am is the best time to wake up. I keep trying to go back to sleep, but pretty much the second I wake up my mind begins racing with all the work-stuff I have to get done.

I'm looking forward to this weekend--some peripheral friends in Halifax are throwing a party so that I get to go down and hang out with them. I'm looking forward to it, because a) I miss that particular bunch of people, and b) it'll be a fun thing to do. (That, and it will hopefully distract me from being disgruntled about not being invited out with the Gaelic bunch for Pat's b-day.)

Okay...one hour to finish this report and get my arse to work. It's the COB's last day for 2 months. And the DM tells me it's the plan to make sure the COB doesn't come back. They're trying to find her a new job that doesn't involve working near me. Which will make my life much, much better. I hope.

Have a great day, poppets! See you tonight!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home